Trial Lawyers
Are The Difference

Our attorneys have been assisting the Orange County and Southern California communities for over 40 years.

Request free consultation

Filing a Claim with the Independent Compensation Program

Request free consultation
Posted By DAM Firm | June 20 2019 | Clergy Abuse

Victims of sexual abuse by priests in certain Southern California Dioceses have the option to file a claim for compensation with the Independent Compensation Program, an independent program run by two nationally-recognized claims administrators.

At DiMarco Araujo Montevideo in Santa Ana, we can help you explore your legal options. Speak with an experienced Orange County clergy abuse attorney before accepting compensation from the program, as in doing so, you forfeit your rights to file a lawsuit against any party related to the sexual abuse. Contact us today for sound legal guidance and experienced representation in an Independent Compensation Program claim.

How to File a Claim with the Independent Compensation Program

To be eligible to file a claim under the Independent Compensation Program, your claim of sexual abuse must be directed against a priest of any of the following Dioceses:

If you are filing a new claim (not previously reported to law enforcement or the Dioceses) you must first register on the Independent Compensation Program’s website. After you register, you must then report your claim of sexual abuse in writing to the appropriate law enforcement agency, and submit a copy of the police report to the administrators of the program. You will fill out a claim form for the program and provide the appropriate supporting documentation.

Will Filing a Claim Cost Money?

There is no fee for filing a claim with the Independent Compensation Program. The program will not reimburse you for you attorney fees or other professional fees associated with your claim. However, our firm operates on a contingency fee basis. This means you pay us no fees unless we maximize your compensation.

What Proof Will I Need to Submit to Receive Compensation from the Program?

If you are filing a new claim, the program invites you to provide any documentation identified in the claim form, along with any other corroborating information to substantiate your claim, satisfy eligibility requirements, or allow administrators of the Independent Compensation Program to review, process, and make a fair and accurate determination in evaluating your claim. For claims that were reported to the Dioceses before the initiation of this program, the administrators will be provided with any documentation that was previously submitted by victims and their healthcare providers.

What Types of Supporting Documentation Will Be Required for My Claim?

You will need supporting documentation as evidence of the nature, frequency, location, and time of the sexual abuse that occurred. This will assist the administrators in determining your eligibility and evaluating your claim. Examples of such documentation include:

  • Police reports or other law enforcement records
  • Medical or counseling records for treatment relevant to the clerical sexual abuse
  • Copies of contemporaneous notifications regarding the abuse made by the victim to friends, family members, church officials, law enforcement, or others. These notifications could be in the form of email, letter, or another type of communication.

Connect with DiMarco | Araujo | Montevideo

If you are filing a claim with the Independent Compensation Program, having experienced legal representation is in your best interests. Contact DiMarco Araujo Montevideo in Santa Ana today to get our Orange County injury lawyers on your side. We can help ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.

Request Free Consultation

  • *required fields